A Cairns local Cairns icon!
Compass Cruises is Cairns best value reef tour if you’re looking for and a memorable day on the Great Barrier Reef then our budget cruise has it all!
We will have you escaping for an unforgettable, un-rushed day enjoying a relaxed leisurely cruise to the Outer Great Barrier Reef. Snorkel among beautiful corals and a colorful variety of tropical marine life at one of the natural wonders of the world.
Relax on the huge sun deck, see the Great Barrier Reef from the glass bottom boat (optional extra) or take the “Wild Ride” on the famous Compass Boomnet. Scuba Diving is available as an optional extra for all levels of experience.
Compass offers something for everyone and can be enjoyed by people of all ages, even those with limited swimming ability.
Tour Highlights & Inclusions
- Up to 4 hours at two Outer Great Barrier Reef locations
- Unlimited Snorkeling and snorkeling tuition. Snorkeling mask, snorkel and fins included
- Free buoyancy aids – snorkeling vests and noodles
- Delicious BBQ Lunch with fresh salads (Dietary requirements catered for: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and food allergies – please advise upon booking)
- Fruit Platters while boarding. Tea & coffee available all day while boat stationary. Water fountain to fill your water bottle
- Glass of wine, cheese & crackers on return journey
- Assistance for non-confident swimmers from friendly crew
- Boom netting – “The Wild Ride” (weather permitting)
- Reef tax, fuel levy & national park fees for visiting the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park are included in this trip cost
- Family Friendly Tour
- Optional extra activities including Scuba Diving for all levels of experience and Glass-Bottom Boat Tours
- Scuba Diving for qualified divers (Certified) OR No-experience necessary ‘Resort Scuba Diving’ for beginners – one or two scuba dives available. Subject to medical conditions – see ‘Important Information for Scuba Divers’ below
- Glass Bottom Boat Tours (weather permitting)
- Wetsuit Hire (During jellyfish season in the tropics, stinger suits are included with your trip. These are not the same as wetsuits, which provide flotation and warmth)
- Underwater Digital Camera Hire
- Snack Bar Purchases: Soft drinks, chocolate, chips, alcohol etc.
- Dive Guides for already qualified ‘Certified’ scuba divers (dive guides included for beginner divers)
- Prescription Mask Hire if you require stronger lenses to see (contact lenses can be worn in most circumstances)
- Bus transfers from accommodation to and from the Cairns Marina: From Cairns City accommodation $12.00AUD return per person / Outside Cairns City area $22.00AUD return per person
What to Bring
- Cash or credit card for purchases – Credit Card available for purchases over $10.00AUD
- Swimming Clothes, Towel, Hat, Sunglasses, Sun Cream
- Proof of qualification if you’re a Certified Diver
Compass Cruises departs from Cairns Marina: ‘Marlin Wharf berth 18‘ View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
Boarding commences at 7:25 am for check-in, directly on the boat ‘Compass’Arrive back to Cairns Marina at approximately 5:30pm
Terms of Tour
- Please read full Policies, Terms & Conditions prior to booking any tour. Below is a brief overview only
- Compass Cruises can cater for vegetarians, vegans, gluten free and any food allergies. Please inform of dietary or other special requirements prior to date of travel
- Please re-confirm your reservation 48 hours prior to travel
- We require 48 hours to re-schedule a trip subject to availability (see Cancellation Policy)
- Locations, prices, vessel and itinerary are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances without notice but with full consideration for your enjoyment and safety
- Children prices are for ages 4-14 years. Family prices are for 2 adults + 2 children age 4-14 years
- Travel and dive insurance are highly recommended. We strongly recommend that all clients have travel insurance covering illness, injury, medical evacuation, loss or damage to personal belongings and not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure
- Optional Scuba Diving Activities (applies to both certified and beginner divers):
- No refunds on uncompleted dives
- Ages 12+ years for all scuba activities
- You will be required to complete a medical questionnaire before participating in any scuba activities – SEE Important Information for SCUBA DIVING below
- No alcohol may be consumed prior to in water activities
- Please remember you need to allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying
- As with all boats to the Great Barrier Reef, Compass is a non-smoking vessel
- 07:30 – Board the boat Compass, at Cairns Marina ‘Marlin Wharf Berth 18’, for check-in. View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
- 08:00 –Depart Cairns to the Outer Great Barrier Reef. Safety talk and snorkel briefing
- 10:30 – Arrive at your first Great Barrier Reef Location
- 12:30 – BBQ Lunch with fresh salads
- 13:00 – Cruise to 2nd Reef Location
- 15:30 – Depart the Great Barrier Reef
- 17:30 – Approximate Arrival time at Cairns Marina
Important Information FOR SCUBA DIVING
Certified Scuba Diving and Resort Scuba Diving on Compass Cruises is an Optional Extra Activity
What is a Certified Dive? A Certified Scuba dive is when you have completed an “Open Water” Dive Course or higher and have a divers licence as proof of qualification (generally takes 3 – 4 days to complete)
What is a Resort/Introductory Dive? Resort diving requires no previous scuba experience. Conducted in small groups of 4 guests, under the supervision of an experienced Dive Instructor. Resort dives give beginners an unforgettable Great Barrier Reef experience without having to complete a full scuba diving course.
Can anyone go Scuba Diving? If you are able to swim and are in good physical health you can probably dive. Scuba Diving in Australia is subject to medical conditions – this applies to qualified Certified Divers AND beginner Resort Divers alike. Both past and present, medication and/or health concerns may prevent participation in scuba activities (See Medical Conditions). The minimum age for resort diving is 12 years.
Queensland Dive Laws are the strictest in the World – with the safest dive record in the world
IMPORTANT Please be aware that some Medical Conditions (past or present) or Medications that are being taken could prevent you from participating in scuba activities. If you wish to partake in our Certified Scuba Dive OR Beginner Scuba Dive, it is the passengers responsibility to ensure they are medically fit to dive. To prevent disappointment on-the day, if you have had any medical condition OR are taking any medication OR have ANY health condition, please contact our friendly team who can advise whether you are required to get an Australian Standards Medical Certificate prior to the day of your trip.
If you are taking any Medications for anything we can check if these are safe for diving with the local accredited Scuba Dive Doctor before your tour and let you know in advance by email if they may prevent you diving. This is necessary as some medications can become dangerous under pressure. These checks may be done within 90 days of your reef trip and are valid as long as there is no change in your medical situation. (Medication checks can also be done on the day of travel, however in some instances it can be difficult for the dive doctor to approve without consultation with you, so it is recommended to check in advance if this will be necessary). On your day of travel, we can only give them the information submitted to us on your medical form so please understand that the Dive Doctor may require a medical consultation to clear you for diving in advance of your trip.
If you have EVER suffered from any of the following conditions, you will be required to bring a current dive medical certificate stating that it conforms to Australian Standard ‘AS.4005.1‘ before being allowed to Scuba Dive. These include, but are not limited to:
- Asthma / Wheezing OR use of an Inhaler even for sports endurance or allergies
- Brain, spinal cord or nervous disorder (including Epilepsy)
- Chronic bronchitis, persistent chest complaint or any lung condition
- Chronic sinus condition
- Collapsed Lung (pneumothorax)
- Chest Surgery
- Heart Disease of any kind
- Any Heart Conditions – past or present
- Crones Disease
- Anything that may cause fits, faints or blackouts
If you are CURRENTLY suffering from or have recently had any of the following conditions or procedures, you will be required to bring a current dive medical certificate stating that it conforms to Australian Standard ‘AS. 4005.1‘ before being allowed to Scuba Dive. These include, but are not limited to:
- High or Low Blood Pressure
- Chronic ear discharge or infection
- Ear Surgery
- Recurrent ear problems when flying
- Any disease
- Any illness or operation within the last 3 months
- Perforated eardrum
**Being pregnant will prohibit you from Scuba Diving**
Please be aware that the above does not cover every medical condition there maybe other medical conditions not listed.
It is not our company’s decision regarding these laws – we are regulated by the Queensland Government
Please contact our office, if you require further information regarding possible medical conditions
If you have existing or pre-existing medical conditions, operations, taking medication, have used an inhaler then you will need permission from the Dive Doctor to Scuba Dive. If you have any doubts or queries regarding the above, please be proactive and contact our office to avoid disappointment on the day.
Flying after Scuba divingFor a single no decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive. For multiple dives you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive. If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive. We recommend waiting a minimum 24 hours whenever possible
Please read the Policies, Terms & Conditions before booking any tour
Children’s prices are for ages 4-14 years old. Family prices are for 2 adults + 2 children age 4-14 years
**Some medical conditions (past or present), medications and/or health conditions may prevent participation in scuba diving activities